This Fall is a busy time of year for us. We have some great upcoming events at the Chateau Avalon to tell you about!
For those of you that have been asking about our next wine tasting- we heard you! We are having our next tasting on Oct 26th @ 6:30 pm. We will be having 5-6 great wines, hors d'oeuvres and a great time! Call the hotel to save your spots. 913-596-6000 Cost: $30/person.
This year's fall race is on the weekend of Friday, October 19th. Any Race Weekend at the Kansas Speedway is an exciting time for everyone in the Legends area. There is so much going on besides the actual races; Concerts and parades and parties are happening everywhere. Don't miss out on your chance to be in the middle of it all this year. While we are sold out on Saturday, we do have a handful of fantastic rooms still available for Friday and Sunday. Don't forget we offer a free shuttle service to our guests all weekend and we are planning some amazing beer specials out of our d'Nile Wine Bar! Call the hotel directly to book your suite.
On November 16th, we are planning our very first Beer Tasting! Come out and try some unique beer and some great food. We'll have a beer expert on hand to answer all of your questions. Put it on your calendars now! Price and time: TBA
It does not seem like 2004 was that long ago. But how things have changed. Take a walk with me back to 2004.
Everyone listened to their music on the run with a mobile CD player. Did anyone else's skip all the time? In just two years we would all be wanting something called and iPod.
Film cameras were being replaced by digital ones that had an amazing 1 megapixel resolution. Today we are disappointed with less than 12 megapixels.
A couple of cellular companies announced that they believed soon they would be able to bring video to our phones.
A few pioneers began publishing web logs. They called them "blogs".
A small company called Google said they would change the market by giving people FREE email addresses with lots of web storage. NOTE: That same Google high speed this year intends to revolutionize home internet with 100X speed digital fiber starting right here in old KC.
The compact fluorescent light bulb (CFL) was not invented yet.
The new TV that everyone wanted was called a Plasma. A 42" screen cost over $4,000!
Things have really changed and so must the Chateau Avalon. When I put in those flat glass TV's in the hotel, they were the state of the art. Other hotels were still installing TVs with rounded tubes and standard size was 27".
This week it is time again to upgrade the Chateau Avalon to stay ahead of the curve. We are putting 100% LED TVs throughout the hotel. They are just 1.5" thick with extraordinary picture quality.
In November we will also be converting from the current 18 stations to over 80 stations most of which offering true hi-def programing. This increased programming will allow us to also remove the antiquated DVD players from the suites.
These LED tvs will consume just a fraction of the energy of the previous glass tube TVs with better quality and other device connectivity.
So with all the changes in the last 9 years it begs the question, what will be watch our shows on 9 years from now? Perhaps a piece of glass? Don't laugh...
It's a great day to be in KCK! There is so much going on in our area and we are so happy to be a small part of it! You may not be aware quite yet but Kansas City, KS and its area businesses/attractions have received multiple awards as of late.
One of the most exciting serves as an accolade for the educators of our community. America's Promise Alliance chose Kansas City, KS as one of 2012's Best Communities for Young People. Communities were judged based on extensive criteria some of which had to do with test scores and drop-out rates for young people. As a result of a concerted effort by youth programs and schools to acheive unification, educators saw an increase in math proficiency from 3% to 68% and a jump in reading proficiency from 11% to 67% on state assessments.
Kansas City, KS is a first time winner of this award. We send our thanks and congratulations to all who have worked so hard and invested so much to make this possible! THANK YOU for making our community a better place!
Another exciting award has been presented to Schlitterbahn Waterpark here in Kansas City, KS. They recently received international recognition from Amusement Today's Golden Ticket Awards. They were honored with being named the home of the World's Second Best New Waterpark Ride with their King Kaw River Rapids ride that opened at the beginning of the 2012 summer season.
If you didn't make it out to the park this year, make sure you don't miss out in 2013! It really is a lot of fun -- great for the whole family!
P.S. Don't forget to make Chateau Avalon your place to stay when you come to KC! Look for special offers coming soon!
Choose Chateau Avalon to be your Hollywood Casino Hotel! Chateau Avalon is located right across the street from the Hollywood Casino at Kansas Speedway. Complimentary transportation to and from the casino is available upon request!
With countless dining, gambling and entertainment options, the Hollywood Casino has something for everyone! Check out live music every weekend in their Turn 2 Sports Bar & Restaurant!
For those of you who are new to the gambling scene, you can check out Hollywood Casino's tuturials on how to play the table games.
So...bring your friends and come out for a fun night of entertainment. Make sure to make your reservations here at the Chateau Avalon! Remember to show the front desk your Marquee Rewards card and you can book ANY Classic or Adventurous Suite for ONLY $139 + tax Sunday - Friday!
d'Nile Wins the PAMA Cocktail Contest!
Many exciting changes have been happening at the Chateau Avalon over the last few weeks. The new Breakfast menu has started and the new Small Plates and Desserts menus are finished and in place. But, We are the most excited about our newest winning cocktail: The Greek Goddess.
A few weeks ago at Yia Yia's in Leawood, we beat out other top area bartenders with our unique Chai-blended Martini to win the PAMA Cocktail Contest!
In d'Nile, we are featuring a few lesser-known wines right now, so make sure to ask your bartender about their favorites, our current specials, as well as what new drinks we have in the works. We are developing some great new cocktails for this fall as well as re-imagining a few classics.
Come in and try some of our new menu items and the Greek Goddess- a truly great Martini to sip out on our North Patio and enjoy on a cool Fall evening.
P.S. The holidays are right around the corner. Chateau Avalon's d'Nile Wine Bar is a fantastic venue for holiday parties and general revelry. Call our Director of Sales, Jayme Humenczuk, at 913-596-6000 to book your event today!
Summer is always a busy time, for everyone. And for me, well my summer has been extremely eventful with me planning my wedding and all!
My mom and aunt planned my family shower a few weekends ago and to my surprise, it was at the beautiful Chateau Avalon Hotel, located at 701 Village West Parkway, near the Legends Outlets and the new Hollywood Casino.
This hotel is just gorgeous. I felt like a Princess walking up the steps to a majestic castle. I walked up the grand staircase to find family and friends in one of the hotel's small meeting rooms that was decorated with elegant art and flowers. The room itself was impressive, but when they started bringing in the food -- forget the Princess....I then felt like a Queen!
This menu will make your mouth water:
And don't forget the wine!
- Chicken Satay - 6" bamboo skewers of tender and juicy chicken with authentic seasonings
- Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms - These are bursting with flavor! Sausage, onions and herbs, stuffed inside a fresh mushroom cap
- Greek Mezedes Plate - Flaky Spanokopita, savory dolmas & creamy hummus served with pita & tzatziki
Needless to say, everyone was happy; seconds and thirds were had by all! The serving staff was so attentive, extremely polite, and always wanted to make sure we were having a great time. Believe it or not, we had leftovers and the staff was kind enough to box everything up for us. My mom still rants and raves about how easy they made this day for her -- and coming from a Mother of the Bride, I would say that's a huge compliment! Not only was everything magical, but the opportunity for pictures is just beautiful!
The Chateau Avalon is just one of the many great meeting places in Kansas City, KS, but it will now always hold a special place in my heart.
- Liz Holmes
Liz Holmes is the Visitor Services Coordinator for the Kansas City, Kansas Convention & Visitors Bureau, Inc.
To celebrate the Summer Olympics, the Chateau Avalon is offering patriotic pricing for each of our Luxury, Adventure and Classic Suites!
(Olympic Suite Specials Good 7/27/12 – 8/12/12 & Exclude Saturdays)
Book any “Gold” Luxury Suite for only $249!
Book any “Silver” Adventure Suite for only $179!
Book any “Bronze” Classic Suite for only $149!
Just like the Olympic Athletes…once their event is over they get a relaxing massage, so we’re including a fantastic Spa promotion too!
Purchase a $100 Spa Voucher for only $75!
(Offer Good Any Day, Including Saturdays!)
The Olympic Games will soon commence in London and here at Chateau Avalon, are getting excited! There is nothing quite like cheering on our teams as we watch these tremendous athletes compete for worldwide honors. As we look forward to the games, we invite our fans and friends alike to test your knowledge with these Summer Olympics Trivia Questions. (Written by Drs. Barre and Barry Wright for Savannah Morning News - click on the link for the complete list of trivia questions.)
- What is the Olympic motto? (“Citius, Aliticus, Fortius” which translates from Latin as Faster, Higher, Stronger)
- The Olympic flag features five interlocking rings. What do the rings symbolize? (The five inhabited continents of the world)
- Why are the colors of the Olympic flag’s rings blue, black, red, yellow, and green? (Because the flag of every country participating in the Olympics includes at least one of these 5 colors)
- Name the nine sports featured in the first Modern Olympic Games (athletics, cycling, fencing, gymnastics, weightlifting, wrestling, swimming, tennis and shooting)
- The Summer and Winter Olympic Games were customarily held in the same year until when? (1992)
- How many U.S. athletes have competed in both the Summer and the Winter Games? (17)
- Why did the U.S. boycott the 1980 Summer Olympics held in Moscow? (The U.S. was protesting the Soviet war in Afghanistan)
- How many times in the past has London hosted the Olympics? (Twice, once in 1908 and once in 1948)
- What will be a first for the 2012 London Olympics? (All participating nations will have at least one female athlete competing)
- About how many athletes will compete in London? (10,500 individuals representing more than 205 nations)
- What is the only Olympic sport in which men and women compete against each other? (Equestrian)
- Of 28 modern Olympic sports, in what category has the U.S. never won a medal? (Badminton)
- Boxing was an event at the Games in ancient Greece. In what year and where did Cassius Clay (Mohammed Ali) win the gold medal? (1960 in Rome)
- Which sport of the Summer Games has the highest number of athlete participating? (Track and field events with 2,000 competitors)
- What is the maximum number of competitors each country can enter in the Archery event? (Six total with three of each gender)
- Based on ticket sales, for which event is the overall demand the greatest? (Men’s 100-meter final)
- Based on ticket sales, which event is most popular with London government officials? (Beach volleyball)
- In what order do countries traditionally enter Olympic Stadium at the Games’ opening ceremonies’ Parade of Nations? (Greece, in honor of being the home of the ancient Olympics, enters first and the host nation enters last)
- In what sport for the 2012 Olympics was the U.S. the only country to qualify the maximum number of participants? (Fencing. We qualified the maximum 16 fencers)
- In what sport for the 2012 Olympics will Saudi Arabia’s first female Olympian participate? (Equestrian. However, Dalma Rushi Malhas’s jumper has reportedly sustained an injury to his foreleg and that may prevent her competing)
- Kim Rhode, at age 16, was the youngest member of the U.S. 1996 Atlanta Summer Olympic team when she won her first gold medal. If she medals in the London 2012 Games, she will be the first American to medal in five straight Olympics. What’s her sport? (Shooting. She is a shotgun specialist)
- The size, shape, weight and center of gravity of javelins are standardized in international competition. How long is the javelin men throw? (8’6”-8”10”)
- How many overall medals did U.S. swimmer Michael Phelps win in the Athens and Beijing Games? (16 total of which were 14 gold and two bronze)
- What country has won the most gold medals in men’s field hockey? (India) In women’s field hockey? (The Netherlands)
- What four events of the Summer Olympics does NBC Sports say Americans most want to watch on TV? (Track and field, swimming, gymnastics and beach volleyball)
- What city will host the 2016 Summer Olympic Games? (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and it will the first time the Olympics have been held in South America)
Enjoy these questions and share them with your friends, family and co-workers -- you are sure to impress with your vast wealth of Olympic knowledge!
P.S. To celebrate the Olympic Games, look for a "Gold Medal Special" from us very soon! Make sure to leave a comment and tell us what your favorite Olympic event is!
It's HOT outside and here at Chateau Avalon, many of us plan to spend the weekend inside enjoying the wonderful A/C! If that's your plan, why not cuddle up with the one you love and enjoy a few classic romance films? While some movies on our list are "classic" in terms of old, others have managed to secure the title and classification of "best of..." simply based on the story line alone. From the moment they were released in theatres, both audiences and critics instantly knew that these movies would stand the test of time. Check out our list, (adapted from www.moviephone.com), and see if your favorites are included. Make sure to leave a comment and tell us where your favorite ranked. If it's not on our list, tell us what it is!
10. 'Ghost' (1990) While Whoopi Goldberg's dead-people-seeing psychic borders on the wacky (she did win an Oscar, go figure), this drama has one of the best love scenes of the decade. Messy clay. 'Unchained Melody.' Demi Moore and that perfect teardrop. Priceless.
9. 'Dr. Zhivago' (1965)
Who knew snow could be so sexy? Surgeon-poet Yuri (Omar Sharif) is married, but he can't resist the idealistic and soulful Lara (Julie Christie). It's sappy, it's sad, and the theme song will drive you insane, but these two beautiful adulterers are impossible not to root for.
8. 'Annie Hall' (1977)
Audiences fell hard for this bittersweet love story between Alvy (a comically neurotic Woody Allen) and Annie (Diane Keaton, in an Oscar-winning performance) -- about as hard as Alvy falls for Annie, you might say. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll "luurve" it.
7. 'Moonstruck' (1987)
Cher is a widow marrying a nice-but-boring man (Danny Aiello) -- until she meets his wildly passionate brother (Nicolas Cage). How nice it is to remember the 'Treasure'-hunting Cage as a brooding bad boy -- and a surprisingly seductive one at that.
6. 'The Way We Were' (1973)
Barbra Streisand and Robert Redford may not seem like a love match (he's an uptight WASP, she's an idealistic socialist), but that's what makes them so memorable. Because she wants it to work out so badly, so do we.
5. 'Gone With the Wind' (1939)
This sweeping Civil War drama about a Southern belle (Vivien Leigh) and a rogue (Clark Gable) is a love story with as many heart-stopping victories and reversals as the war itself. Frankly, my dear, we do give a damn.
4. 'An Affair to Remember' (1957)
Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr meet on a cruise and promise to reconnect six months later atop the Empire State building. If you get sucked in, don't feel bad. 'Sleepless in Seattle' director Nora Ephron loves it, too
3. 'Wuthering Heights' (1939)
A rich girl (Merle Oberon) rejects her stable boy/true love (Laurence Olivier), but soon realizes her mistake. Of course, it's not until she's on her deathbed that the two lovers reconnect. Haunting has never been so romantic.
2. 'Titanic' (1997)
The ultimate date movie, this weepy flick has a big boat, awesome special effects and Kate Winslet to keep guys entertained. Women have plenty to swoon over thanks to the tragic love story and dreamy Leonardo DiCaprio. King of the world, indeed.
1. 'Casablanca' (1942)
When Humphrey Bogart tells Ingrid Bergman she has to leave him or regret it "maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon, and for the rest of your life," waterworks are unavoidable. Sixty-five years later, no film has better nailed a true romance.
Do you agree with the rankings?? What are your favorites? Make sure to let us know by leaving a comment below!
Summer can be both the best of times and the worst of times for many families. While we all love to spend time with our kids, we are often looking for things to do that will be fun and exciting but also something that won't break the bank! Here in Kansas City, there are a lot of things to do and explore that can be new, even to a lifelong resident. Here are some of our favorite places to find summer fun in Kansas City!:
- The Deanna Rose Childrens' Farmstead - Located in Overland Park, this is a special place for kids to go to have fun with your kids. You can walk the nature trail, sit in the butterfly garden, visit the petting zoo, pan for gold and even hook a live worm. The best part is, this is a free activity -- they only ask for donations.
- Shawnee Mission Theatre in the Park - This is always a favorite among our staff and kids. If your child has a knack for the theatrical, this may be just the inspiration they need to explore their talents! Not only is it fun for kids, but the adults never complain about going either. Bring your blankets and lawn chairs -- they have concessions available or you can even bring in a picnic! New this year...Panera Bread is available for concessions!
- Union Station - is always a fun option for a day out. The travelling exhibits are always changing and there is definitely something for everyone. It's a great way to explore the history of Kansas City and do some fun things too! Make sure to check out Science City while you're there!
- T-Bones Baseball - We may be a little partial since they're our neighbors but nothing beats a T-Bones Baseball Game! Take the little ones out for the ballgame and have a night of family fun! Make sure to click on the link above to plan your visit!
- Kansas City Explorers - Not your typical tennis experience, this is a must-do in Kansas City! Cheer for our team in a high-energy tennis environment. As their website says, "No golf claps allowed!"
- Pick berries at The Berry Patch -- You will need to hurry because the season is almost over but there are still a few weeks left to pick! This is a great thing to do with kids -- afterwards, make fresh berry pies together!
Therse are only a few of our favorite things to do here in Kansas City! Leave a comment and share with us what YOUR favorite things are!